Death Toll from Papua New Guinea Landslide Rises to Over 670 as Rescue Efforts Continue

Death Toll from Papua New Guinea Landslide Rises to Over 670 as Rescue Efforts Continue

The International Organization for Migration has increased its estimate of the death toll from the massive landslide in Papua New Guinea to over 670.

Serhan Aktoprak, the chief of the U.N. migration agency’s mission in the South Pacific island nation, reported that this revised death toll was based on calculations by Yambali village and Enga provincial officials, noting that over 150 homes had been buried by Friday’s landslide. The previous estimate was 60 homes.

“They are estimating that more than 670 people (are) under the soil at the moment,” Aktoprak told The Associated Press.

Death Toll from Papua New Guinea Landslide Rises to Over 670 as Rescue Efforts Continue

Initially, local officials had put the death toll at 100 or more on Friday. By Sunday, only five bodies and a leg of a sixth victim had been recovered.

Emergency responders in Papua New Guinea were moving survivors to safer ground on Sunday as tons of unstable earth and ongoing tribal warfare in the Highlands posed threats to the rescue effort. The South Pacific island’s government is also considering whether to request additional international support.

Crews have given up hope of finding survivors under the earth and rubble, which is 6 to 8 meters (20 to 26 feet) deep, Aktoprak said.

“People are coming to terms with this, so there is a serious level of grieving and mourning,” he stated.

Authorities are establishing evacuation centers on safer ground on either side of the massive debris field, which covers an area the size of three to four football fields and has cut the main highway through the province.

“Working across the debris is very dangerous and the land is still sliding,” Aktoprak added.

Beside the blocked highway, convoys transporting food, water, and other essential supplies since Saturday to the devastated village 60 kilometers (35 miles) from the provincial capital, Wabag, face risks from tribal fighting in Tambitanis village, about halfway along the route. Papua New Guinea soldiers are providing security for the convoys.

Eight locals were killed in a clash between two rival clans on Saturday in a longstanding dispute unrelated to the landslide. Around 30 homes and five retail businesses were burned down in the fighting, local officials said.

Aktoprak mentioned he did not expect tribal combatants to target the convoys but noted that opportunistic criminals might take advantage of the chaos to do so.

Death Toll from Papua New Guinea Landslide Rises to Over 670 as Rescue Efforts Continue

“This could basically end up in carjacking or robbery,” Aktoprak said. “There is not only concern for the safety and security of the personnel, but also the goods because they may use this chaos as a means to steal.”

Longstanding tribal warfare has cast doubt on the official estimate that almost 4,000 people were living in the village when a side of Mount Mungalo collapsed.

Justine McMahon, country director of the humanitarian agency CARE International, emphasized that moving survivors to “more stable ground” was an immediate priority, along with providing them with food, water, and shelter. The military is leading these efforts.

The numbers of injured and missing were still being assessed on Sunday. Seven people, including a child, had received medical treatment by Saturday, but officials had no details on their conditions.

Medical facilities were buried along with houses, several small businesses, a guest house, school, and gas station, officials said.

McMahon stated there were other health facilities in the region, the provincial government was sending health workers, and the World Health Organization was mobilizing staff.

“There will be some support, but it’s such a spread-out area that I think it will be quite a challenging situation,” McMahon said. “The scale of this disaster is quite immense.”

While Papua New Guinea is in the tropics, the village is 2,000 meters (6,600 feet) above sea level, where temperatures are substantially cooler.

Papua New Guinea Defense Minister Billy Joseph and the government’s National Disaster Center director Laso Mana were flying from Port Moresby by helicopter to Wabag on Sunday to gain a firsthand perspective of what is needed.

Aktoprak expected the government would decide by Tuesday whether it would officially request more international help.

The United States and Australia, a near neighbor and Papua New Guinea’s most generous provider of foreign aid, are among governments that have publicly stated their readiness to do more to help responders.

Papua New Guinea is a diverse, developing nation with 800 languages and 10 million people who are mostly subsistence farmers.

Also Read, Tragic Fire at Delhi Children’s Hospital Claims Seven Newborns, Investigation Underway

Melania Trump Faces Backlash Over High-Priced Jewelry Promotion

bollywoodfever

Sachin Chouhan is an avid entertainment enthusiast and dedicated follower of celebrity and entertainment news. He has always had a passion for the latest happenings in the world of entertainment and has made it his mission to stay up-to-date on all the latest trends, news, and gossip. With years of experience following the entertainment industry, Sachin has developed a keen eye for the latest celebrity fashion trends, music releases, movie reviews, and red-carpet events. His in-depth knowledge and expertise have made him a trusted source for entertainment news and celebrity updates. Contact us: admin@bollywoodfever.co.in

Leave a Reply