Judge Sets $10 Million Bond for Second Suspect in Murder of 12-Year-Old Jocelyn Nungaray
A judge sets a $10 million bond for Johan Jose Martinez Rangel, the second suspect in the murder of 12-year-old Jocelyn Nungaray in Houston. Both suspects are held under ICE detainers.
Texas, Bollywood Fever: In a significant development, a judge set a $10 million bond for Johan Jose Martinez Rangel, the second suspect accused of the capital murder of 12-year-old Jocelyn Nungaray. The tragic incident occurred in north Houston, where Jocelyn was found dead in a creek last week.
This decision follows a similar ruling on Monday, where 26-year-old Franklin Jose Pena Ramos, the other capital murder suspect, was also given a $10 million bond. Both men are under U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) holds, meaning they cannot leave even if they post bond.

During Tuesday’s hearing, prosecutors disclosed that Martinez-Rangel had searched for ways to leave the country after his image was released to the media. “I am very pleased that the judge set bonds at that amount. I think it’s sufficient to ensure the safety of the community,” said prosecutor Megan Long.
According to the U.S. Border Patrol, Martinez was apprehended near El Paso on March 14 but was released the same day with a notice to appear. Pena was similarly arrested on May 28 near El Paso and was ordered to appear in court later that day.
Prosecutors detailed the circumstances of Jocelyn’s death, describing how she was found partially clothed with marks on her neck consistent with being dragged. Investigators are awaiting test results to determine if she was sexually assaulted.
Jocelyn’s mother, Alexis Nungaray, expressed her sorrow and determination: “She was a very special little girl that deserves her justice. I know she is going to make a difference in this world for all children, and now it’s my job to make sure it continues to happen.”
According to Texas law, because of Jocelyn’s age, the suspects are not eligible for the death penalty. However, if sexual assault is confirmed, the case could become death penalty-eligible, allowing the state to request no bond.
The investigation revealed that Jocelyn had snuck out of her home around 10 p.m. on June 16. The suspects allegedly encountered her on Kuykendahl Road, lured her under a bridge, and held her there for two hours. She was tied up, had her pants removed, and was strangled.
A bystander found Jocelyn’s body floating in a creek on the morning of June 17. Surveillance footage showed the suspects and Jocelyn near the bayou at around 12:57 a.m. Only the suspects were seen leaving at 3:04 a.m.
Witnesses reported seeing the suspects at Ojos Locos hours before the murder, and one witness claimed Pena confessed to needing money to flee after the incident. The suspects reportedly asked their boss for funds to leave town, explaining what had happened.
In court, it was revealed that Pena attempted to stop Martinez but was unsuccessful. Martinez allegedly put his arm around Jocelyn’s neck, covered her mouth, tied her up after she died, and instructed Pena to dispose of her body in the water.
Authorities arrested the suspects at Canfield Lakes Apartments last Thursday after days of investigation. “We look forward to continuing to work hard on this case and getting justice for Jocelyn,” Long said.
The community awaits further developments as the investigation and legal proceedings continue to unfold.
Also Read, U.S. Health Officials Warn of Increasing Dengue Cases Amid Global Surge
Parents File Federal Lawsuit Against Texas Officials Over Wrongful Child Abuse Accusation
Ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez Faces Decades in Prison for Drug and Firearm Offenses